Sigd is a traditional Ethiopian Jewish holiday that celebrates the giving of the Torah at Mount Sinai and the dream to return to Jerusalem. It is also an official national holiday in Israel. Sigd provides a great opportunity to raise the visibility of Ethiopian Jewry and learn about the customs of Beta Israel. In 2021, Sigd falls on the evening of November 3rd till the evening of November 4th.
Here is a curated list for educators to use to teach about Sigd.
- What is Sigd? From MyJewishLearning
- Sigd children’s books and slideshows from Be’chol Lashon
- Sigd: A primary school resource pack from United Jewish Israel Appeal
- Project ideas and materials from the North American Conference on Ethiopian Jewry
- About Sigd with pictures from the Museum of the Jewish People
- An Ethiopian IDF soldier explains Sigd
- Ethiopian Kabbalat Shabbat in honor of Sigd from Be’chol Lashon
- My Sigd from the Jewish Agency
About Ethiopian Jewry
To recommend a resource for this list please email Odelia Epstein, Odelia@prizmah.org.